The Tie-Dye Adventure

This all began when the bush in front of my daughter Lily’s bedroom window died. Early morning light began to filter into her window and wake her before either my husband or I were ready. At first, we tried regular blinds. Still, she woke as the sun rose over the houses and shone into her room. So, I thought curtains would work. As Lily has been taking sewing and enjoying them, she could make her own curtains. I’d pick up some material down at Fabric Planet in Venice on Lincoln. Together, we could make these wonderful curtains. What a wonderful mother and daughter bonding opportunity. BAHAHAHA That lasted, oh, about a half hour. Of the couple hundred plus designs on this curtain, about ten to twenty of them were drawn by Lily and her friends. The rest are yours truly. Unless you have a couple of thousand to pay me, this large of a Sharpie tie-dye project is never happening again. That being said, the end product is pretty cool and something I hope my daughter will like for at least another five years. Supplies Sharpies (I purchased this 80s Glam kit at Office Depot) Rubbing alcohol 70% (from my own stash) Rubber bands (also from Office Depot) Plastic cups (from my cupboard, but I used a variety of sizes) Eye dropper Ventilated room—even with ventilation, I wouldn’t recommend spending hours sitting at the table doing this. You will end up with a headache. (Voice of experience here.) Despite all of the sites out there with instructions on how to do this, before I started on the curtains, I...